Puriton, England, UK

Puriton is a village and a parish, at the westerly end of the Polden Hills, in the Sedgemoor district of Somerset, UK. The village has a population of 2,124 (As of 2002[update] estimate).[1] The local parish church is named after St Michael.Puriton Parish Church, constructed from local Blue Lias stoneAt one time there was also a chapel on Woolavington Road, but it was converted to a private house some 20 years ago.Puriton is now becoming a commuter village. The built-up area of the village lies mostly between 5 and 50 metres above sea level.The village has a full range of facilities such as a primary school, parish church, pub, post office, shop (general store and newsagents), butchers and hairdressers. It started to expand considerably in the 1960s and 1970s when new houses were built on former farm land, a former infilled stone Blue Lias quarry, Puriton Park, and on fields in between the existing houses. The old Victorian school near the church was converted into homes and a new school built elsewhere. The Manor house was also sold off in 1960 and four houses were built on its former tennis courts. The Manor House itself is still there and lived in, but is now in multiple occupancy.

Get Directions to here | Add a new place in this area | Hotels in Puriton

Big map | Google Earth KML | OpenStreetMap

the_oodler (updated 11 years ago)

lat: 51.1695, long: -2.973

Embed


Did you see something wrong?, contact Tagzania.