Elephant Paths - Bergen, Norway 20.

Skansen (the Battlement) got its name because of the shape given to the terrain by proprietor Friedrich Fosswinckel, who purchased the land from vise mayor Dankert Fasmer in 1772.<br />Path mapped in summer 2004.<br />In 1879, the city of Bergen bought the farm. To serve the local water supply, a dam was built in 1882. In 1903 a fire station was built at the site of the old farmhouse. The fire station closed down in 1936, and the juvenile "civil guard" (skansen Bataljon) was allowed to use the building as their headquarters. The lake and its surroundings are a popular recreational ground for locals and tourists alike.<br />In November 2003 the Bergen council decided to drain the dam in order to build a parking house underneath Skansen. The water level will be reduced to 20 centimeter. So far 3000 people have signed a letter protesting the decision." (a note on the fence, recorded summer 2004)<br /><br />Until 2007, parking house is not build.<br /><br />See also video!

Get Directions to here | Add a new place in this area | Hotels in Skansen

Big map | Google Earth KML | OpenStreetMap

mkk (updated 13 years ago)

lat: 60.3977813721, long: 5.33088350296

Embed


Did you see something wrong?, contact Tagzania.

Photos, Videos

  • Bergen old fire station