20 Rue de Clichy

Names of the Theatres in this one location:<br />APOLLO (1919 – 1956)<br />La FLORIDA (1926 – 1929)<br />Le MONTMARTRE (1932 – 1934)<br />La BELLE EPOQUE (1934 – 1935)<br />La CROISIERE (1936)<br />La BAGATELLE (1937 – 1946)<br />THEN: During the 1920s, Parisians could count on 20 Rue de Clichy to be a swinging music joint. Beginning early in 1919, 20 rue de Clichy became home to the Jazz Club Apollo. Initially the Apollo belonged to Harry Pilcer, who hired Mr. Mallet to direct 50 musicians in a full symphonic orchestra. Later in the year the famed African American Louis Mitchell and his jazz band (known as Mitchell’s Jazz Kings) played at the Apollo with an Argentinean orchestra known as Serablo y Clavero. Just a year later, the internationally renowned Sidney Bechet performed at the Apollo with his band, Peyton’s Jazz Kings. In 1926 Harry Pilcer left the club to the direction of Mr. Mario Lombart, who renamed it “La Florida.” The club would undergo several name changes over the next thirty years. It remained “La Florida” from 1926-1929, became “Le Montmartre” from 1932-1934, transformed into “La Belle Epoque” or “The Beautiful Time” from 1934-1935, then “La Croisiere,” and finally “La Bagatelle” from 1937 to 1946. While the name changed, the music stayed consistent, JAZZ remained the house favorite. <br />NOW: 20 rue Clichy is now a modern office building with black trim.<br />

Get Directions to here | Add a new place in this area | Hotels in Paris 17 Batignolles-Monceau

Big map | Google Earth KML | OpenStreetMap

globalcities (updated 13 years ago)

lat: 48.8785018921, long: 2.32986903191

Embed


Did you see something wrong?, contact Tagzania.